Monday, January 23, 2006

Perspectives: "What are ya in for?"

(originally posted 10-17-05)

He moved slowly and carefully.

As I palpated to find his veins, I felt the heat pouring off of him. His skin was delicate and papery; he was old before his time. I didn't get the vein, despite the fact of thinking I had found a good one. I asked a staff phlebotomist to come help me.

He sat there, cooperative and patient, and smiled wanly with thin lips.

The staff phlebotomist told me she'd be "right there".

Sweat began to stand out on his face. He looked up at me with large eyes set in a thin face.

"Would you like some water?" I asked.

He nodded. "Yes please."

I got him a cup of water. The staff phlebotomist came and resumed the draw.

I can't get his face out of my mind.

I wondered what was the matter with him. I always wonder. I read the patients' labels and see if the test being ordered can give me any clue, but it doesn't.

I always wonder.

The large eyes are stuck in my mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home