Monday, January 23, 2006

MaladyLink: The Dead Teach The Living

WARNING:
Today's curiosities may offend/sicken some sensitive viewers. And you might not want to look at them at work. Unless you work in a morgue.

Since I can never predict what direction in which my morbid curiosity will lead, I bring you:

Dr. Ed Friedlander, pathologist, is one of the most fascinating people I've ever heard of - one of those people I would love to have at my dinner table next to the Dalai Lama and Stephen Hawking.
I will allow his words to introduce today's curiosities:

In doing around 700 autopsies, I have always found something worth knowing that
wasn't known during life. Even at major hospitals, in about one case in four we find
major disease which was unknown in life. Giving families the explanations they want is one of the most satisfying
things that I do.


With that, first we'll let him tell us how an autopsy is done.

Now, we can see some actual autopsies - the real thing.

Skull autopsy.
In this video, South American medical students are getting an education.

Another autopsy video, featuring the famous y-cut.

More autopsy videos.

Finally:

Dr. G, Medical Examiner is one of my favorite shows on TV. For those of us who are a little more queasy, the actual autopsies are always shown discreetly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home